OASST Board member, Jodie Boast, is our #HerGameToo representative.
The #HerGameToo campaign is a group of female supporters who are passionate about football and are working to eradicate sexism in the football industry. They want women and girls of all ages to feel confident and safe sharing their opinion about football both online and in real life without fear of sexist abuse.
Click to read Jodie’s story here…
By Jodie Boast, HerGameToo ambassador for Accrington Stanley Football Club
HerGameToo is a campaign aiming to eradicate sexism in football and encourage females to come to football games and share their opinion on football without fear of sexist abuse. Football is a game for all and we want everyone to feel comfortable coming to a football game, striving for a positive change. At Accrington Stanley, we are one big family and we are known for being so welcoming, we want to continue that and want everyone to feel comfortable coming to support Stanley.
I am sure most of you have seen me walking around the ground on match days, recently with a huge frame! I have been a Stanley fan for around 5 years. Following a break-up I decided to start coming to the football with my Grandpa and Nana and instantly fell in love with the atmosphere, the club, the sport and never looked back.
Since then, I’ve had a season ticket, I’ve encouraged my friends and family to attend, I got an ASFC tattoo and ASFC became my biggest hobby. The club are incredible; every single person does their bit to make you feel so welcome and one big family. Following the passing of my Nana, life-long Stanley supporter, the club did everything they could to help not only my Grandpa, also a life-ling Stanley supporter, but support our whole family.
Unfortunately, none of my friends follow football, which is sadly quite common in a group of female friends. Many of my friends thought it was strange that I was getting a season ticket for football but I think now, with HerGameToo and the rise of women’s football, we are breaking the stigma.
I was approached by the Accrington Stanley Official Supporters’ Trust to ask whether I would be interested in getting involved with them and be on the Supporters’ Trust Board, I of course said yes. We then soon established that my role on the board would be to drive the HerGameToo campaign for the club. I have really enjoyed being a part of such a fantastic campaign and interacting with fans.
We have already achieved so much throughout the campaign such as announcing our two player advocates from both the male and female teams, Michael Nottingham and Sanah Mehdi. We also have Rebecca Shaw who is our HerGameToo advocate for ASFC.
We have raised money through HerGameToo badge sales for local charities including Lancashire Women. We had a fantastic dedicated fixture celebrating women in football, which encouraged the free sanitary wear on all match days. We have ASFC X HGT social media accounts, which promote and engage with fans for both ASFC and ASFC Women.
Looking forward to the future, we have a lot of plans working with the club and the campaign. We are aiming to have an Instagram account, run by advocate Rebecca Shaw, to further communicate with our fans. We are also looking to get a female fans forum/WhatsApp which will enable us to connect with female fans or anyone may attend matches alone, or wants to start coming to matches.
Thankyou to everyone at ASFC, ASFC Women, OASST, Coleys/1968 and everyone who keeps helping me and supporting the campaign. Football for me is everything and the fact that I can enjoy it and make a difference makes me so proud.
We hope everyone enjoyed watching their teams today but as usual, please let us know if there’s anything to report by using the link below:
Most recent #HERGAMETOO posts
- Her Game Too: ASFC WomenA weekend of winning at Wham Stadium!!!! What a fantastic game watching ASFC Women today, fantastic support too. Thankyou for everyone who came … Read more
- Her Game Too: Home to SuttonWhat a win!!!! Fantastic return for Joe Pritchard and great goals from Leigh & Longelo! Absolutely loved speaking to Sutton fans yesterday, they … Read more
- Her Game Too: Home to MansfieldThe sun was out yesterday but the result wasn’t for us. Still really enjoyed meeting both home and away fans and talking all … Read more
- Her Game Too: Home to HarrogateWhat a fantastic win for the Stanley today!!!! Fantastic football from start to finish. What a feeling! Thankyou to everyone who got a … Read more
- Her Game Too: Home to NewportA fantastic start to the season for ASFC! Great to see some new and old faces today!!! Everyone was buzzing for and after … Read more
- Her Game Too: AS Women v IOM WomenAccrington Stanley Women vs Isle of Man Women down at Wham Stadium! Absolutely loved being a part of the game today. Thankyou to … Read more
- Her Game Too: Home to CambridgeLast home game of the season, done ✅ Fantastic fans home and away and fantastic support. Thankyou for supporting us this season, raising … Read more
- Her Game Too: Home to FleetwoodASFC X HGT advocate Rebecca Shaw had a great day chatting to fans and players. Please see photos below! Massive game for the … Read more
- Her Game Too: Home to MK DonsRebecca Shaw, HerGameToo Advocate, took the the frame around the ground and in Coley’s today. She really enjoyed speaking to and meeting fans. … Read more
- International Women’s DayHappy International Women’s Day! Let’s celebrate our female players, staff and fans 🔴⚪️⚽️
- Her Game Too: Home to Forest GreenGreat speaking to Stanley and Forest Green fans today. A wave of excitement and lots of friendly faces. Great fans and some great … Read more
- HerGameToo at the Shrewsbury GameA great win for the reds! Absolutely loved meeting the Shrewsbury fans today. Some great photos 😁
- HERGAMETOO versus Lincoln CityNot many photos today!
- HERGAMETOO Leeds FA CupA fantastic day in the FA cup game against Leeds United. Regardless of the result, the lads played fantastic and we raised awareness … Read more
- #HERGAMETOO Designated Game 14th January 2023Yesterday we had our Her Game Too dedicated fixture. We celebrated how far the campaign has come and we raised awareness. Her Game … Read more
- Nottingham and Mehdi become #HerGameToo advocatesBy Luke Pearson, from the Official Accrington Stanley website Michael Nottingham and Sanah Mehdi have agreed to become #HerGameToo player advocates Accrington Stanley … Read more
- #HERGAMETOO Designated Game
- #HERGAMETOO Supporting Lancashire WomenWe were delighted to be able to support our local Lancashire Women charity with a donation from our #HerGameToo ASFC badge sales. OSST Board member and … Read more
- #HERGAMETOO at the Oxford United MatchJodie Boast (OASST #HERGAMETOO champion, shown here, 2nd from the left) was out again on Match Day encouraging people to have their photo … Read more
- #HERGAMETOO at the Sheffield Wednesday MatchOnce more, Jodie Boast (OASST #HERGAMETOO champion, shown here) was out hunting on Match Day, and her photo album is below. For more … Read more
- We’re Supporting “Lancashire Women”Assisted by Jodie Boast, OASST board member and the #HERGAMETOO Accrington Stanley ambassador representative, the Supporters Trust has launched a badge for Stanley … Read more
- #HERGAMETOO Pin Badges#HERGAMETOO Pin Badges are now available, they cost £2 plus £1.45 postage To buy a badge, please order and pay, using the form … Read more
- #HERGAMETOO at the Derby MatchOnce again, Jodie Boast (OASST #HERGAMETOO representative, shown here with Michael Nottingham) was out shooting supporters, players and directors on Match Day, and … Read more
- #HERGAMETOO at the Morecambe MatchJodie Boast (OASST #HERGAMETOO representative) was out with camera and picture frame again at the Morecambe match and managed to shoot a few … Read more
- #HERGAMETOO at the Ipswich MatchWe started at dinnertime, on Twitter… …and we had a great time promoting the #hergametoo campaign, fighting sexism in football. Massive thanks to … Read more
- #HERGAMETOOOASST Board member, Jodie Boast, has agreed to be our #HerGameToo representative. The #HerGameToo campaign is a group of female supporters who are … Read more